The Ellicott City Partnership Board meets on the third Friday of each month from 8:00 – 9:30am. If you would like to join us or have written content you would like the board to consider, please email Assistant@VisitOEC.com
ECP is looking for our next Executive Director! Interested parties should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to Director@VisitOEC.com
Based in the historic center of Ellicott City, MD (“Old Ellicott City”), the Ellicott City Partnership (ECP) is a not-for-profit organization that works to leverage the heritage and vitality of Old Ellicott City while creating and enhancing economic growth. The ECP comprises an all-volunteer board of directors and staff/contractors. The ECP is seeking an executive director to manage the operations of the organization. This position oversees the Old Ellicott City Main Street Program.
Roles and responsibilities:
• Manage the Old Ellicott City Maryland Main Street program and meet all requirements of the program
• Manage finances in partnership with bookkeeper, auditor and CPA • Manage daily operations of the non-profit organization
• Plan and deliver high-profile events (on behalf of constituents and ECP itself (e.g. SpringFest – annual town-wide event attracting over 5,000 attendees; Main Street Music Fest – annual fall town-wide event attracting over 5,000 attendees, Midnight Madness event – annual holiday town-wide event, and ECP Annual Meeting)
• Develop organizational strategy with support of the board
• Host regular meetings with constituents (e.g., businesses, property owners, government officials)
• Assess the needs of constituents, develop/execute plans to fill those needs
• Attract, hire, manage and assess staff and contractors
• Develop/execute organizational development/strategic relationship-building plan
• Develop/execute fundraising plan • Develop/execute marketing and communications plan
• Represent the ECP in public settings, sometimes outside of normal business hours
• Bachelor’s degree and five years of experience in a relevant field (e.g., economic development, urban planning, public policy, nonprofit management, etc.) or master’s degree and three years of experience
• Deep familiarity with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WordPress, Survey Monkey, MailChimp, social media, QuickBooks, Slack, etc.
• Track-record of development/relationship-building success
• Track-record of fundraising success
• Experience managing staff (e.g., hiring, evaluating, directing) and finances (e.g., billing, bookkeeping, grant reporting)
• Ability to communicate effectively with elected/career government officials
• Ability to lead change in a multi-stakeholder environment
• Self-starter with an ability to operate with limited oversight
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Vacancy will be open until filled. Ellicott City Partnership is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
May Board Meeting Highlights
- Thanks to everyone who participated and planned the Gordon Ramsay Facebook Live pre-show. Special thanks to MC and primary organizer, Jon Barnes – the event went off great, truly showcased OEC, and had thousands of views.
- Update on plans and how to support our businesses through reopening. Signs posted encouraging masks and social distancing. Business owner newslettershare governor checklist on reopening, where to get resources. Ambassadors encouraged to connect with their businesses to share and gather information.
- Nomination Committee update – Nomination form is on VisitOEC website under Board News, link is promoted in business owner and OEC Fan newsletters. Slate will be shared with board by late May. Current officers are confirming their continued service and FY21 officer slate will be shared soon.
- Board voted in favor of initiating Virtual Main Street grant program. Awards up to $1,000 per grant are specific to items like technology needs, inventory upgrades, services, etc. Goal is to help our businesses survive the pandemic challenges and adapt. Rent, utilities and payroll are not be eligible usage of funds.
April Board Meeting Highlights
- Until further notice, ECP board meetings will be held via Zoom conference to honor Covid-19 safety.
- How can we best support for our stakeholders during the pandemic? Suggestions: needs assessment by way of Ambassadors, continued sharing of aid assistance in more frequent newsletters, continued communication of OEC needs to elected officials and EDA
- Proposition to create a small assistance program for business owners specific to technology needs, website/online purchasing support, etc.
- Promotion and Organization committees reported on plans for a virtual pre-show prior to the broadcast of the Gordon Ramsay special to shine the spotlight on the town and encourage support. OEC businesses and musicians will be invited to participate.
- The nominations committee is actively recruiting new board members to join the ECP board. Key needed skills include creative types, financial knowledge, more business owner/property owner representation, and most of all – people with the passion and time to help make a difference.
March Board Meeting Highlights
Brainstorming / Thought Sharing on COVID-19 – How can we help?
- SpringFest is postponed. Ellicott Silly Comedy Fest is trying to provide some experiences virtually
- Educate on and encourage application to all state and federal grants/loans
- Advocate on key issues like rent forgiveness, payroll tax, etc.
- Share info on new liquor board policies and changes that impact restaurants and bars
- Create SUPPORT OEC page on website to promote businesses offering carryout/delivery, online shopping, and gift card purchase. Promote on social media and through OEC Fan email campaign
- Help ensure OEC business listings on Toursim and County promotions
- Leverage communications checklist that Jon Barnes created (social media, getting online, etc.)
February Board Meeting Highlights
- Discussion of the updated ECP Strategic Plan. Revisions provide additional guidance and direction on Board priorities and committee projects.
- ECP stakeholders are encouraged to show support for continued County funding for ECP to support marketing for OEC and operations of ECP through oral or written testimony at the upcoming County budget hearings March 12 at George Howard Building.
- Business owners are encouraged to connect with their ECP Ambassador to share feedback and suggestions for the community.
- Three new businesses will be opening in OEC near-term – stay tuned for ribbon-cutting celebrations and help us welcome them to town.
- ECP will share information as it is available from the County to stakeholders about the special event filming in OEC. We encourage a positive attitude about this win for our town.
- SpringFest planning is underway! Vendor, Musician and Volunteer sign ups can be found on the VisitOldEllicottCity.com homepage. Volunteers and sponsorships are critical to our success. Let us know how you want to help.
- Recap discussion on the Giving Tuesday Fundraising campaign and the Holiday Voucher program – we hope to enhance and continue with both programs for the 2020 holiday season.
- Upcoming Events:
March 25-28 Ellicott Silly Comedy Festival
April 18 SpringFest
January Board Meeting Highlights
- Discussion of the 2019 Holiday season events, promotions and feedback. OEC businesses and residents are encouraged to give feedback to the ECP on the holiday season and any suggestions or requests for future seasons.
- ECP will be presenting to further support our county budget request at the next budget hearing in March. Constituent support is most appreciated.
- Discussions continue on funding and finding additional sources of revenue in order to ensure we can continue to support the OEC community.
- The Ambassador Program has been rolled out and each OEC business has an assigned ambassador from the ECP board. Please share your feedback, requests and suggestions with your ambassador.
- Discussion on SpringFest plans and proposed changes to the event to further differentiate it from Main Street Music Fest and increase the amount of family fun and kids’ activities.
- An ECP Happy Hour is being planned for the spring to help raise money for ECP to support the community. Stay tuned for details.
- Upcoming Events
February 22 Mardi Gras on Main/ Boogaloo at the Bin
February 29 Leap Day Week promotion “Spend Your Extra 2020 Day in OEC”
March 25 – 29 Ellicott Silly Comedy Festival
November Board Retreat
- Instead of a business meeting, the ECP board held a board retreat focused on brainstorming our programs, events and focus for the organization for the new year. We are excited to continue to sharpen our focus to what is most critical to help the OEC community. Stay tuned for more details, and as always please share your feedback and comments with us.
October Board Meeting Highlights
- Update and discussion of ongoing Master Plan process and the best way to collect and share plan feedback from our constituents so their feedback will be heard and reflected in the final plan.
- Giving Tuesday campaign with personal pitches from each board member will be rolled out in November. This will be a personal chance for each board member to highlight why they serve and the impact ECP has on the community and encourage year-end giving.
- We are excited to be rolling out our new Ambassador Program. Each board member will have 5 businesses for whom they will be an ambassador and connect on a monthly basis. This will make sure all of our businesses in OEC know about upcoming programs and events, as well as making sure we are responsive to the needs of the community.
- We continue a thorough review of our by-laws and making changes to enable us to best serve the community.