Perched at Old Ellicott City’s highest point, the Patapsco Female Institute offered a revolutionary curriculum to young women from 1837-1891. The school earned a national reputation for its inclusion of botany, chemistry, languages, literature, math, and music in an effort to mold elegant young ladies into engaged, active citizens. Since the school’s closure at the end of the 19th century, the site has hosted a hotel, a Summer Theater, and, briefly, a nursing home. The ruins of this grand example of Greek-revival architecture were stabilized and restored in 1993.
Sundays only, 1–4pm